Thanks wersm.com for this great infographic on LinkedIn. I can tell you that these work because I’ve used them.
1. Be more active- Comment, like and participate in group discussions. Send an invite to at least one contact per day.
2. Personalize- Add a personal message to the connection invite or posts to stand out.
3. Reach and be reached- Display contact information so it is easy for people to find and use, and use the alumni feature to find high school and college connections.
4. Be smart- Share news and insights relevant to connections, ask questions and share endorsements.
5. Promote- Feature LinkedIn profiles and pages in adverts, business cards, marketing materials, conversations, event materials, etc.
Use LinkedIn to republish your blog posts after they’ve published on your website. People will see you as an authority in your field and connect with you. LinkedIn connections can be extremely valuable!