Social Media User Demographics

Social Media User Demographics

What social media network is your audience on? Here is a great infographic from brittonmdg.com showing these demographics for the top networks, Facebook,  Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram and Tumbler. These user percentages are based on total internet users.

  • % of Internet users on the network
  • Ethnicity
  • Gender
  • Age
  • Education
  • Income
  • Location

Facebook

  • 71% of all Internet users have Facebook accounts.

Ethnicity

  • 76% of Black internet users have Facebook accounts.
  • 73% of Hispanic internet users have Facebook accounts.
  • 71% of White internet users have Facebook accounts.

Social Media User Demographics

Twitter

  • 18% of all Internet users have Twitter accounts.

Gender

  • 18% of Female internet users have Twitter accounts.
  • 17% of Male internet users have Twitter accounts.

Social Media User Demographics -Twitter

Pinterest

  • 21% of all Internet users have Pinterest accounts.

Age

  • 27% of internet users ages 18-29 have Pinterest accounts.
  • 24% of internet users 30-49 have Pinterest accounts.
  • 14% of internet users 50-64 have Pinterest accounts.
  • 9% of internet users 65+ have Pinterest accounts.

Social Media User Demographics - Pinterest

LinkedIn

  • 22% of all Internet users have LinkedIn accounts.

Education

  • 12% of internet users that have High School educations have LinkedIn accounts.
  • 16% of internet users that have some College have LinkedIn accounts.
  • 38% of internet users that have a College education or higher have LinkedIn accounts.

Social Media User Demographics - LinkedIn

Instagram

  • 17% of all Internet users have Instagram accounts.

Income

  • 18% of internet users that make less than $30 a year have Instagram accounts.
  • 20% of internet users that make $30-49k a year have Instagram accounts.
  • 15% of internet users that make $50-74k a year have Instagram accounts.
  • 16% of internet users that make $75k+ a year have Instagram accounts.

Social Media User Demographics - Instagram

Tumbler

  • 6% of all Internet users have Tumbler accounts.

Location

  • 75% of internet users that live in an urban area have Tumbler accounts.
  • 69% of internet users that  live in a suburban area have Tumbler accounts.
  • 71% of internet users that  live in a rural area have Tumbler accounts.

Social Media User Demographics - Tumbler

About Mike Gingerich

Author: Mike Gingerich, President of Digital Hill & TabSite Marketer and Consultant. Part geek, part marketer, part strategist, total distance running junkie. Mike is an author and speaker, having presented at Social Media Week Lima, Social Media Camp (Canada) and more. He writes a tech column, podcasts, and shares about social media and business strategies at MikeGingerich.com. Mike is a marketing, social media, and business startup enthusiast with 10+ years experience building apps, consulting, and training businesses with winning integrated strategies. Mike loves deploying tactics to increase awareness, sales, and maximize ROI in both B2B and B2C markets via digital media.

8 thoughts on “Social Media User Demographics

  1. I think you need to re-word your bullet points. They don’t make sense as they are. If 18% of internet users that have a Twitter account are Female and 17% are Male, that only adds up to 35%… what are the other 65% if not male or female. I’m guessing the infographic means to say that 18% of all Female internet users have a Twitter account and 17% of all Male internet users have a Twitter account… and so on for the other stats.

  2. I am also having difficulty understanding your meaning here? In the statement abut ethnicity of facebook accounts surely the sum of black, white and hispanic accounts have to be 100% not 220% as you state? The same applies to all other statistics quoted?

  3. Hi Mark,

    The data set here is “All Internet users”. So it would be totally appropriate for 73% of Hispanic internet users to have Facebook accounts awhile 76% of Black internet user have Facebook accounts. The data set isn’t the ethnicity of Facebook users rather the ethnicity of Internet users that have Facebook accounts. I’ve changed the wording to hopefully make it a little easier to understand.

  4. Thank you Mike, I very much appreciate the clarification and am delighted that you took time out of your undoubtedly busy schedule to make this reply. Those small personal touches make all the difference in our mass-marketing world!

Comments are closed.