Over the last seven years, the number of copyright lawsuits in the United States has exploded, jumping from just under 2,000 in 2010 to 5,000 as recently as 2015. Copyright infringement in the form online blogs deserves much of the credit.
Blog Law Tips
- Copyright infringement occurs anytime you reproduce, distribute or download a copyrighted work without permission.
- Even creating a work that borrows from another source without copying it directly can be considered illegal.
- Placing a disclaimer or giving credit on a photo may not protect you from legal proceedings.
- Committing copyright infringement can result in your post being deleted under the terms of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and/or a lawsuit.
- Damages can run in excess of $500,00 for a single infraction.
If you publish your own online blog or write for one, it is imperative that you avoid copyright infringement and know the law as it concerns fair use.
Thanks to our friends at Monder Law Group for sharing this informative infographic.