Contests formerly had to be run solely via 3rd party contest apps on tabs like the TabSite Photo Contest App. Facebook recently loosened these rules to allow for more contest options and TabSite has responded to help Pages manage and run these additional options.
Now, businesses can launch a quick & simple Facebook contest that is in the news feed using a normal post by the Page.
That means you can run a Timeline Contest that asks fans to enter the contest by:
- liking the post
- leaving a comment
- posting a photo
However, if your timeline contest received 300 likes or comments, it could have been unruly to try and sort through them and select a winner. That's where TabSite comes in! We do that work for you!
TabSite's Timeline Contest app allows pages to export (to csv file for use in Excel type programs) and randomly select winners from a post on your Facebook Page. As well, at the Platinum plan level, TabSite users can run Photo Contests in the News Feed and easily get a export of all comments and photos on the photo contest post!
Additionally, TabSite users can create, customize, and launch their post from ready-made templates in the TabSite manager, making it easy to deploy, manage, and select winners via a timeline contest! Here's how...
1. For New Users (existing users skip to #2) - Go to the TabSite Sign-up page and sign-up a Facebook Page for a Free - Platinum TabSite plan. Any plan, including free, can use the Timeline Contest App. Platinum includes more features including:
- Option to have multiple winners selected
- Ability to Export Photo Comments on a Post (for photo contests)
- Ability to Filter comments by a keyword (for trivia contests)
- Ability to store up to 5 contest exports for future access
This will load the Timeline Contest tools.
3. To select a winner from posts already on your Facebook page, follow the 3 steps outlined. (1) click "Select a Post" which connects to your Page posts and pulls them in for viewing (see image below of posts).
View of imported posts after using "Select a Post" in Step 1. Each post show the excerpt, created date, and number of Likes and Comments it received. Simply Click on the Post that you are using for the contest.
4. Proceed to Step 2. Identify what criteria you were running your contest by. Again, it can be by Likes, Comments, Likes and Comments, and photos posted as a comment.
The "Allow Duplicates" can be checked or unchecked. If duplicates are allowed, then in a "Like or Comment" contest where the user Likes (1 entry) and comments (a different entry), that user has 2 entries.
Same for Commenting. If "Allow Duplicates" is on for a Comment contest, then one user can comment 26 times and have 26 entries. If the box is unchecked, that user with 26 comments gets 1 entry.
Number of Winners, Downloading photos, and rejecting comments without photos are features available at the Platinum level.
5. The last steps is Step 3, Click to Download the csv file.
This begins the export from Facebook process. We alert you with a note outlining that the process has begun and we will alert you in the manager and via email (email to the user account listed in Account Information).
Below is the alert view when the timeline cost export file is ready in the manager:
By clicking the green download ready button or the Timeline Contest button you will be taken to the Timeline manager where the Saved Download area on the right gives you access to download the csv file. Or simply click the link in the email notification you receive.
For non-Platinum Plans, we store the most recent download only. For Platinum plans we store up to the most recent 5. At any time, simply delete the existing download to make room for a new download.
Create New Timeline Contest Post
Need help creating a post? We've got you covered.
Click the "Create Post" tab to be given options to easily modify for:
• Sweepstakes (giveaways where a random winner is selected)
• Trivia (give users options and they must comment with correct answer to be eligible to win)
• Photo Contests (fans enter by adding a Photo Comment)
Simply select the type of post contest you want to run. Click the "Show More" button to see options. Then customize text and use our supplied image or click/drag to upload your own image and publish!.
That's it! We supply sample disclaimer text for you. Be sure your rules, terms, and disclaimers meet your local, state, national requirements and include the Facebook disclaimer.
To sign-up your Facebook Page for the Timeline Cost App, simply go here: